40,202,829 as at DECEMBER 08, 2019
Why Are We Doing This?
With the increasing incidents of compromise on conventional security systems (password and PIN), there is a high demand for greater security for access to sensitive or personal information in the Banking System. In recent times, biometric technologies have been used to analyze human characteristics as an enhanced form of authentication for real-time security processes.
Biometrics refers to identifying an individual based on physiological or behavioural attributes – fingerprint, signature etc.
The Central Bank of Nigeria through the Banker’ Committee and in collaboration with all banks in Nigeria on February 14, 2014, launched a centralized biometric identification system for the banking industry tagged Bank Verification Number (BVN).
- BVN gives a unique identity that can be verified across the Nigerian Banking Industry (not peculiar to one Bank)
- Customers Bank Accounts are protected from unauthorized access
- It will address issues of identity theft, thus reduce exposure to fraud
The BVN will enhance the Banking Industry chances of being able to fish out blacklisted customers
- Reduce queue in Banking Halls
- Standardized efficiency of Banking operations
- The Customers unique BVN is accepted as a means of identification across ALL Nigerian Banks
- The purpose of the project is to use biometric information as a means of first identifying and verifying all individuals that have account(s) in any Nigerian bank and consequently, as a means of authenticating customer’s identity at point of transactions.
- To provide a uniform industrially accepted unique identity for Bank Customers
- To authenticate transactions without the use of cards using only biometric features and PIN
- Identification of blacklisted customers
What you need to know about BVN
- A unique ID number shall be issued to every Bank customer at enrolment and linked to every account that the customer has in ALL Nigerian Banks.
Individuals shall be required to submit an acceptable means of identification as prescribed for enrolment.
- Customers of banks shall be required to enroll within a fixed period after which they shall no longer be able to operate their Bank accounts
Capturing of all ten (10) fingers and facial image will be adopted
- For authentication purposes, individuals performing banking transactions (e.g applying for loans) shall be required to identify themselves using their biometric features which will be matched against information in the central database.
- Update of customer information shall be done at their Bank Branches physically.
Banks shall be prompted during account opening and credit check if a customer has been blacklisted by ANY Nigerian Bank.
- The BVN and unique features of an individual shall be used in conjunction with a PIN on a point of transaction.
How To Enrol
- Walk into any branch of your Bank
- Fill and submit the BVN Enrolment form.
- Present yourself for data capturing (such as Fingerprint, facial Image etc)
- An acknowledgment slip with the transaction ID is issued to you
- Within 24hours the system confirms your application, your BVN is generated, and you receive an SMS for pickup.
NIBSS in partnership with OIS (Online Integrated Solutions) and VFS Global has introduced a simple, convenient and hassle free process for Nigerian Bank Customers in Diaspora to enroll and link their Biometric Verification Numbers (BVN) online to their Nigerian Bank Accounts.
NIBSS has come up with this process to ensure that Nigerian Bank Customers irrespective of where they are around the world can enroll and link their BVN to their Bank Accounts. The enrollment process is simple and easy.
- Log-on to Online Integrated Solutions (OIS) or VFS Global website
- Select Location
- Click on the BVN ENROLMENT TAB
- Read BVN Enrolment Instruction
- Download BVN enrolment form
- Book BVN Biometric Capturing Appointment
- Print Appointment Booking Slip
- Visit BVN Enrolment Center on the Appointed Date with Enrolment Requirement.
- REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLMENT
– Valid ID (Drivers Licence or International Passport)
– One recent passport photograph
– Enrolment fee or evidence of payment of enrolment fee
- REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLMENT
- Log-on to NIBSS website and Click the: LINK BVN TO ACCOUNT Tab
- Login with Username and password and link BVN to existing Nigerian Bank Accounts (Username and Password will be sent to your registered email account after capturing)
This enrolment process is done only once and your BVN is linked to all your Bank Accounts across all Nigerian Banks.
The BVN solution is an initiative of the Central Bank of Nigeria to ensure accountability, protect Bank Customers’ Account from unauthorized access, reduce exposure to fraud, check identity theft, enhance credit advancement to Bank Customers, and also encourage financial inclusion.
Melbourne: VFS Global (BVN enrolment Centre) Suite 4, Level 12, 55 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria – 3000.
Beijing: OIS SERVICES, Unit 1 Suite 1801, Kun Sha Building, 16 Xin Yuan Li Str, Chaoyang District, Beijing PRC. Opening times: Monday to Friday (9am – 4pm). RMB300 enrolment fee. Tel: +86-1084004549
Shanghai: OIS SERVICES, Room 2025, 22/F, Catic Building, 212 Jiangning Road, Jing’an District, Shanghai, PRC. Opening times: Monday to Friday (9am – 4pm) RMB300 enrolment fee. Tel: +86-2122306696
Guangzhou: OIS SERVICES, Unit 27/28, 41st Floor, R&F To-Win Building, 30 Huaxia Rd, Tianhe District, Guangzhou PRC. Opening times: Monday to Friday (9am – 4pm) RMB300 enrolment fee. Tel: +86-2089196634
Shenzhen: China (Permanent location) Avante Electronic Technology (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd. 3/F, Building 7, Industrial Zone, Citang, Village, Shang Mei Lin, Shenzhen, China. Opening times: Monday to Friday (9am – 5pm) Tel: +0755 (837) 63739 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Paris: 7 Rue Daru 75008 Paris, France (1st Floor ). Opening times: Monday to Friday (9:00am – 12:30pm and 1:30pm – 4:00pm). €40 enrolment fee. Payment method: Cash. Tel: +33758077611,
New Delhi: Shivaji Stadium Metro Station, Mezzanine Level, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Connaught Place, New Delhi- 110001, India. Opening times: 0900 hrs. to 1600 hrs. INR4130/- enrolment fee. Payment method: Cash. Tel: +911130018568