Your Privacy Matters
Our Comprehensive Policy for Protecting Your Data and Personal Information outlines the measures we take to safeguard your privacy.
We collect personal information from you only when you provide it to us voluntarily, and we use this information only for the purpose for which it was provided.
We respect your privacy and as such we will take reasonable steps to protect your information.
What personal information we collect
We collect the following types of personal information in order to provide you with the use of NIBSS Services, and to help us personalize and improve your experience.
- Provided Information: We may collect and store any information you provide us when you use NIBSS Services, including when you add information on a web form/ update your account information, CCTV footage, recruitment, participate in community discussions, chats, or dispute resolutions, or when you otherwise correspond with us regarding NIBSS Services. This Information may include Contact Information, Financial Information e.t.c
- We may also collect information from or about you from other sources, such as through your contact with us, your results when you respond to a survey, your interactions with NIBSS, and from other accounts we have reason to believe you control (whether in part or in whole).
- Additionally, for quality and training purposes or for its own protection, NIBSS may monitor or record its telephone conversations with you or anyone acting on your behalf. By communicating with NIBSS, you acknowledge that your communication may be overheard, monitored, or recorded without further notice or warning.
- Authentication and Fraud Detection: In order to help protect you from fraud and misuse of your personal information, we may collect information about you and your interactions with NIBSS Services.
How we use your personal information
NIBSS collects personal information in order to provide users with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. Furthermore, the information collected may also be used to: provide NIBSS Services and customer support; process transactions and send notices about your transactions; verify your identity, including during account creation and password reset processes; resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems; manage risk, or to detect, prevent, and/or remediate fraud or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities; detect, prevent or remediate violations of policies or applicable user agreements; improve the NIBSS Services by customizing your user experience; measure the performance of the NIBSS Services and improve their content and layout; manage and protect our information technology infrastructure; provide targeted marketing and advertising, provide service update notices, and deliver promotional offers based on your communication preferences; contact you at any telephone number, by placing a voice call or through text (SMS) or email messaging; perform creditworthiness and solvency checks, and compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
Additionally, we may contact you via electronic means to notify you regarding your account, to troubleshoot problems with your account, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed, to poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires, or as otherwise necessary to service your account. Furthermore, we may contact you to offer coupons, discounts and promotions, and inform you about NIBSS Services or its group services.
Finally, we may contact you as necessary to enforce our policies, applicable law, or any agreement we may have with you. When contacting you via phone, to reach you as efficiently as possible we may use, and you consent to receive, auto dialled or pre-recorded calls and text messages. Where applicable and permitted by law, you may decline to receive certain communications.
Who we share your personal information with?
We may share your personal information with:
- Financial institutions that we partner with to jointly create and offer a product. These financial institutions may only use this information to market NIBSS related products, unless you have given consent for other uses.
- Credit bureaus and collection agencies to report account information, as permitted by law.
- Banking partners as required by credit/debit card association rules for inclusion on their list of terminated merchants.
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process or requirement applicable to NIBSS or one of its affiliates; when we need to do so to comply with law or credit/debit card rules; or when we believe, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of our User Agreement.
- Other unaffiliated third parties, for the following purposes:
- Fraud Prevention and Risk Management: to help prevent fraud or assess and manage risk.
- Customer Service: for customer service purposes, including to help service your accounts or resolve disputes.
iii. Legal Compliance: to help them comply with anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing verification requirements.
- Service Providers: to enable service providers under contract with us to support our business operations, such as fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing, customer service and technology services. Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so.
How we secure your personal information
NIBSS is committed to managing Subscriber information with the highest standards of information security. We use computer safeguard such as firewalls and data encryption, enforce physical access to our buildings and files and only authorise access to personal information to only employees who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities.
The security of your personal information also rests on the protection of your BVN and other vital information you share with NIBSS and which was not shared with NIBSS though in your capacity but if accessed, damage caused could be equivalent to divulging the information shared with NIBSS. You should not share your confidential information with anyone and no employee of NIBSS will ever ask you for either of these so any email or correspondence requesting for such information should be treated as unauthorised and suspicious and forwarded to NIBSS
should you share your confidential information with any third parties, such third parties will have access to your account and your personal information and you may be responsible for any actions taken using this information. In the event you suspect a third party has gained access to your personal information which could lead to insecurity, please inform NIBSS and your financial institution.
You are responsible for maintaining adequate security and control of any and all IDs, passwords, personal identification numbers (PINs), BVN or any other codes that you use to access any NIBSS services.
How long we keep your personal information
We will retain your personal information in accordance with our retention policy. We will also endeavour to keep your information accurate and up to date, and not keep it for longer than is necessary. We are required to retain information in accordance with the law, such as information needed for income tax and audit purposes. How long certain kinds of personal data should be kept may also be governed by specific business-sector requirements and agreed practices. Personal data may be held in addition to these periods depending on individual business needs.
Should you send us correspondence including emails and letters, we will retain such information in the records of your account. We will also retain customer service correspondence and other correspondence from NIBSS to you. The rationale for this retention is to keep records of our relationship, measure and improve customer service and to investigate potential fraud and violations of our User Agreement. We may, over time, delete these records if permitted by law.
Questionnaires & Surveys
From time to time, NIBSS may offer optional questionnaires and surveys to our users for such purposes as collecting demographic information or assessing users’ interests and needs. The use of information collected will be explained in detail in the survey itself. If we collect personal identifiable information from our users in these questionnaires and surveys, the users will be given notice of how the information will be used prior to their participation in the survey or questionnaire.
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize NIBSS Services, content, and advertising.
NIBSS will give you notice of any changes, by an update on the official website of NIBSS. A notice will not apply where a change relates to the addition of a new service, extra functionality to the existing services or any other change which we believe in our reasonable opinion to neither reduce your rights nor increase your responsibilities. In such instances, the change will be made without prior notice to you and shall be effective immediately upon giving notice of it.